Sunday, November 4, 2012

Musings


I grew up in a privileged life. I had two parents, a house with my own bed, clothes to wear, food to eat, and healthcare whenever I needed it.

I did not know I was privileged. I only knew what I lived, what I saw. I did not know that not everyone had two parents, a house with their own bed, clothes to wear, and food to eat. The idea of anyone, especially a child, going to bed hungry just never occurred to me.

We know what we see. And, too often we choose not to see the suffering around us. We choose not to see that there are those in our community who are homeless, hungry, and going without healthcare.

Or sometimes we choose to believe that what others are doing is enough. But, is it enough to provide healthcare to people in our community one night a week, in the basement of a church? What happens when those individuals experience a healthcare crisis on Wednesday or Friday?

As the debate rages in Washington about debt and budgets, let us not lose track of the fact that it is about human lives.

1 comment: