Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Clinic Tonight


As I look out over the clinic tonight, I see so many faces – some I know, many I don’t know. In the early years of the clinic, I knew everyone by name and knew most of their stories. But now, we see so many patients and I don’t get to work as closely with them as I used to.

I miss that.

Tonight we have a young girl who is battling opiate addiction. She just moved here to have the support of her family in this battle. We can help her with the depression and anxiety she is experiencing, but we have nothing to offer her in her battle with addiction. We send her out – wondering how she will cope in a new community without the resources she needs.

A mid-30-year-old man who I would describe as “simple” was here for help with his medications. He had the lab work done that we had ordered and it showed that he now has diabetes. That is a huge diagnosis to take on in one short appointment. We were able to provide him with a glucometer and test strips. One of the nurses spent a lot of time showing him how to use the machine, teaching him the basics. I worry that he will not remember what she has told him. I don’t know what kind of support he has at home. We make an appointment with the dietician for him, but can he afford the foods that will make it easier to control his blood sugar? Will he be willing and able to change eating habits that he has had for a lifetime?

Two patients ask for copies of their medical records. One of them is applying for disability. We see that often – some are truly disabled; others are just tired – tired of not being able to find a job – tired of not having enough to eat. The other one is asking for her medical records so that she can access some rehabilitation services – they will look over her medical records and help train her for a job that she can handle. Why are there not MORE of those kinds of services available?

There are some patients pacing – frustrated with how long the process takes. I want to scream at them: “It’s Free!!!” But, I remember – they are human beings, with obligations, with families, with feelings. Many are embarrassed to have to be here; some have taken time off from their job to be here, because we are only open on Tuesday nights – and they need their medications.

I too, am tired. It has been a long day, a long week, a long summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment