Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A better way? I sure hope so......


I tend to be a “cup is half-full” kind of a person. I am usually optimistic and I like to believe the best about people and things.

So, it has been difficult for me to receive criticism for my championing of the Affordable Care Act. I have never intended to hurt anyone’s feeling or step on any toes. But, I am very passionate about the work that I do, and the population that we care for. I am anxious for people to have access to healthcare – real, meaningful access.

The work of the clinic, while it makes those of us doing it feel good, it is not what is best for the population we serve, or even what’s best for our community. Month after month I see hundreds of uninsured, low-income individuals walk through the door of the clinic. They are sick, they are vulnerable, and they are tired. And, we do the best we can to put the pieces together for them. They see a healthcare provider, they get their medications, someone listens to their story (hopefully) and they go on their way. God forbid that they end up sicker – because then their only choice, at least until the next Tuesday night, is to go to the emergency room or go without care.

I love these people. I love that they trust us enough to come here. I love that I get to do work that has meaning. And, believe me, I am not a saint, I am not even always a nice person. I am just incredibly fortunate to be here, now, and to get to do this work.

So, I apologize for feelings that I have hurt. I am sorry that the clinic has lost your support. But, I do not apologize for how I feel, for the passion that I have for this work and my belief that there is a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment