Thursday, December 5, 2013

I found myself quoting Ronnie today.


And I had to smile.

Ronnie (Rhonda), Betty, Al and I were best friends in high school – actually in ninth and tenth grade. We had so much fun together – we laughed and played. Then just before our junior year, my family moved from southern Georgia to northern Michigan. A year later, we moved back to southern Georgia, but much had changed. Ronnie had a boyfriend; Al was not only going to high school but also taking classes at the local junior college and working full-time to support his family.

After we graduated from high school, we drifted apart. I completely lost touch with Ronnie.

When plans were being made for our 30 year reunion, someone called me to find Ronnie. I had no idea where she was, but I called Al. He gave me her phone number and I called her.

Turns out she became a nurse. I had ALWAYS wanted to be a nurse, so pretty much knew what I was going to do. She had NEVER mentioned wanting to be a nurse, so it was a bit of a surprise. And, not only was she a nurse – she was a Nurse Practitioner. And, her specialty area was gastroenterology. Which was perfect, because my husband had just been diagnosed with Hepatitis C.

She became such a support for me once again. She was able to be a professional and be a friend. We talked or emailed daily. We made plans for our 30 year class reunion. The four of us would be together again – and her mom was going to make a real southern dinner for us. It was everything that we wanted it to be.

Little did we realize, it would be the last time the four of us would ever be together.  

After the reunion, the daily emails and calls stopped. I spoke to Ronnie a few more times, but I had no idea of the chaos in her life.

She died in 2010.

But, today I smiled as I quoted her and remembered her. She once told me: “A Nurse Practitioner is educated; a PA (Physician Assistant) is trained.”

I love my PA’s here at the clinic, but… there is truth in her assessment of the difference.

And it was nice to be able to remember her and smile.

12/9/2013 Note:
And, just as she did in life, in death she continues to get me in trouble. This was never intended to be a reflection on PA's, it is simply my remembrances of an old friend. I apologize for insulting any of the PA's I love and work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment