Thursday, January 16, 2014

First Tuesday


We saw 91 at the clinic this week. It wasn’t a record, but a “near record;” on March 5, 2013, we saw 99. We knew we would be busy – we had been closed for two weeks for the holidays, and then the first Tuesday of the year came with a foot of snow and wind chills in the -20 to -30 degree range. We cancelled for the safety of our patients and volunteers.

What I feel today, after a night like that (other than exhausted!) is grateful. I am so grateful to all the volunteers who give of their time and talent. But, I am especially grateful for the two nurses who called to see if we needed help, and came in unscheduled; I am so grateful to the screeners who responded to my late in the afternoon e-mail that basically said “HELP!”, and they came in and worked, even though they had not planned to; I am grateful to the providers who said, “we didn’t work last week, so we will help out tonight because we know it will be busy.”

Where do you find people like that?? It’s a rhetorical question – I have no idea. God has placed them in my life, and I am grateful.

91 people… without access to healthcare, except in the basement of a church on Tuesday night. And, when we are not here, they have no access.

I never make the decision to close lightly. I know what a burden it creates for those needing our services. My first and foremost consideration is safety. The safety of my volunteers, as well as the safety of our patients.

Today, a big shout out to the best volunteers. Thank you all for all that you do – we could not exist without your generous donation of time and talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment