Thursday, June 26, 2014

Keith


I first introduced Keith on January 15, 2013 as one of my heroes.

Last week I worked in the pharmacy with him for the whole evening. One thing that never changes about Keith is that he loves to talk. So, while we worked, we talked.

When I last wrote about him, he had been diagnosed with Stage IV prostate cancer with bone metastasis. The prognosis at the time of diagnosis was 3 months with conventional therapy. Well, there is nothing conventional about Keith – so he chose experimental therapy.

September will be 3 years since he was diagnosed. It has been a tough journey for Keith and his family, but through it all, he has continued to work at his “real” job AND has continued to volunteer regularly at the clinic.

I am awed and amazed at that. There have been times when he was so exhausted he could hardly stand up; the only times he has missed his scheduled work days here are when he has an appointment at the University of Michigan on a Tuesday. Otherwise, he comes here.

He has always been one of my heroes, and during this time he has taught me – and others – about living, about faith, and about hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment