Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Death Comes in Threes.


Is that an old wives tale, or reality? It always seems to be true in my life, and it certainly has been true here at the clinic this year. In the span of less than a year, we have lost three of our original volunteers.

Pat: Pat was the very first nurse to call and volunteer once word about the clinic went out. I had never met her, and had no idea the impact she would have on my life over the next ten years. Pat was a single woman, taking care of her elderly mother. She was bigger than life in so many ways – physically, she was tall and broad shouldered; she had a voice that was amazing; and she had one of the biggest hearts ever. Pat worked the Tuesday night clinic and was instrumental in the development of the Diabetic Clinic, which she also worked each month. She was a member of the Sweet Adeline’s and introduced me to their brand of singing. It became our annual gift to my mother-in-law to take her to the Sauk Trail Sweet Adeline concert.  She was very involved in her community, her church, and in life! She would work on Tuesday night, then head to her ceramics class for “therapy.” An amazing woman! Pat was one of those people that get in your body space – when she was excited or frustrated she would get right in my face to tell me about whatever was on her mind. I remember so clearly one night when she had been complaining to me about something, that I looked at her and said to her, “I love you.”

I was so glad that I had that moment to remember. On Monday, January 23, I learned that Pat had been taken to the local hospital and then transferred to a major medical center. On Tuesday morning, she was dead. What I was told, was that she had a “tear” in her heart. I am not certain exactly what happened, but it was so sudden, so unexpected.

In addition to taking care of the uninsured, Pat herself had been uninsured, until the previous May, when she turned 65 and became eligible for Medicare. She had put off taking care of herself for many years. According to a report from the Institute of Medicine, uninsured Americans get about half the medical care of those with health insurance. As a result, they tend to be sicker and to die sooner. About 18,000 unnecessary deaths occur each year because of lack of health insurance.

Pat’s death was such a loss to all of us – at the clinic, at her church, in her community. She will always be remembered here.

Ella: I had known Ella almost since I first moved here. She was a member of the church, and very active in everything going on at the church. When we started the work for the clinic, she was always there. Well, almost always. The only things more important than the church were her two great-grandsons. And they were both involved in sports, so that was always her first priority. Ella always told us she was going to live to be 100. She didn’t make it.

Ella was diagnosed with cancer and she vowed she would beat it. She did for a while, but it came back with a vengeance. Ella volunteered every Tuesday at the clinic. We found the perfect job for her – she was our greeter. As the patients came in, she would direct them down the hall and welcome them to the clinic. She couldn’t be here during her treatments, but when the doctor released her, she would come and wear a mask so that she could be here.

Ultimately, she was no longer able to be here, and on February 20, she died.

She touched so many people with her life. Her great-grandsons are now young adults, and hopefully they will always carry with them the fierce love she had for them.

 

Dee: Dee was also a member of the church and an original clinic volunteer. She was the best sorter/cleaner I have ever known. I am not sure I ever saw her without a dust cloth or a dish towel. She could organize any mess – and there are always plenty of those around here! Dee was diagnosed with breast cancer not long after the clinic opened. She responded well to surgery and chemo, and was soon back here working. For many years, she helped in the kitchen on Tuesday evenings. The clinic feeds the volunteers each Tuesday with food provided by various groups. The kitchen is a place for the volunteers to rest, refresh and socialize. There is always something going on out in the kitchen! And Dee was a part of the group providing a haven to our volunteers. This spring, her cancer returned. It seems to always be worse the second time around. Before we could grasp the reality of it, Dee had died.

Dee and I shared more than church and clinic – her granddaughter is married to my nephew, and they have two beautiful daughters. So Dee will live on in those amazing girls.

So, if death does indeed come in threes, maybe we are done for a while. I sure hope so – my heart has so many holes in it that I am afraid it might break in two with another loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment