Monday, October 22, 2012

Simon - a story of four-legged healthcare!


I was going to call this article “My Dog, the Felon.” He really isn’t a felon, but he does have a police record. It’s a long story.

In August, my beagle, Simon was diagnosed with lymphoma, a cancer that affects the lymph nodes. He isn’t quite ten years old, so young enough we weren’t ready to lose him. We embarked into a journey fraught with peril, but of course we didn’t know that at the time. I love to tell people that I live in “de-Nile” a lovely place where I don’t have to deal with reality. I was clearly living in denial as we made the decision to begin chemotherapy on Simon.

The first week went well – he tolerated the medication, was able to eat, and felt fine.

Then, the second week hit. First, he began having some nausea and vomiting; so we started him on medication to control those symptoms. By Saturday, he was having diarrhea, which quickly became bloody diarrhea. So, we added two more medications to control that. He didn’t feel good; I was no longer in denial but had moved right into panic and fear. It was not a good combination.

By Saturday night when it was time to now give him five pills – well, it was a perfect storm of not feeling good, fear, panic and… … as I tried to give him his medication, he bit me.

I pulled my hand away and quickly rinsed it off, trying to calmly (yea, right) assess the situation. I decided the most important thing was to give him his medications – so I gave that job to my husband. Once all the pills were down, we then went to the emergency room.

Have you been in an ER on Saturday night at midnight? Oh, my goodness… not the time you really want to be there. But, there I was. And, the first order of business? To call the county Sheriff to report my dog!

Yes, he was my dog, with all his shots up to date, but we still had to file a report. The Sheriff Deputy came to take my statement, see my wound (and almost pass out), and then they were able to treat me.

I had three stitches; had I known that I didn’t need antibiotics, I probably would NOT have gone to the ER. I did need a tetanus shot – which they forgot to give me (I got it at the Health Department later that week!).

We are now several weeks into the chemo for Simon; my hand has healed. He has taught us so many lessons in this journey. He is one tough beagle dog. When he is nauseated, he just lies quietly on a cold floor; when he is short of breath, he stops; when he is hungry, he eats.

Did we make the right decision to put him through this? I have no idea. I know we were not ready to let him go, and we promised him that if he was ready, we would let him go. So far, he hasn’t given us any indication that he is ready to give up the fight.

He goes to the vet every Thursday, the girls out there love him – and he happily goes in to see them.

It seems somewhat ironic that my dog can get the healthcare he needs, and I have such a hard time getting care for my uninsured patients with cancer. But, that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment