Friday, April 11, 2014

Tears


Two people just walked out of my office in tears.

They were tears of joy: they were both approved for the Healthy Michigan Plan. For the first time in years, they have healthcare coverage. This is a life-changing moment for both of them.

He has a long-standing heart problem, and will now have access to the care he needs.

She is disabled, trying to get disability insurance. She has not been able to work in over two years and is basically homeless – living with a relative or a friend, wherever she can land for a while.

I am smiling because they now have healthcare, but I have to tell you – I am dying inside, because these people live in my community, in my world, and I am so unaware of the difficulties, the circumstances, and the utter hopelessness that people are just barely surviving in.

How does this happen? What can I do to change it? Questions… no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment