Monday, December 15, 2014

The Importance of Stories


Richard Rohr writes: “I’ve never known anyone who really shared all of their story with me whom I could not love.”

It is so true – we make assumptions about people when we meet them or observe them a setting. It is easy to dislike or distrust someone who is not known. But, once you sit down with a person and hear their story, it changes everything.

I had that experience last week. A former patient called, wanting an appointment to review his health insurance coverage. He had been paying his premium for a year, had used his health insurance appropriately, and wanted to review it. A total success story! Except for the fact that when I heard his name, I just shuddered.

We ran into a few roadblocks during the process of reviewing his insurance coverage, so we had some time to talk. I had made some judgments about him. What I learned in the time we spent together was a completely different person than I had assumed.

His mother died when he was 8 years old. It had clearly impacted his entire life – including the fact that he was not able to finish school. He wasn’t “stupid,” he was uneducated.

He is married to a woman who lost five children in an intentionally set fire decades ago. She is broken – emotionally, physically, and mentally. His concern and love for her was evident.

Because of the time we spent together, my attitude toward him changed dramatically.

I see this so often with the population we see here at the clinic. It is so easy to make assumptions. I often hear someone say, “he’s just a user.” But sometimes that “user” is taking care of an elderly mother with dementia, or is the only parent to a young child, or is recovering from substance abuse. We never know the battles people are fighting in their lives.

We really need to take the time to hear their stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment