Saturday, May 31, 2014

NEHM in NOLA


Candace, a volunteer nurse at the clinic, and I attended the annual National Episcopal Health Ministries conference in New Orleans this month.

We both were presenters at the conference. Candace did a presentation on “Preparing Better Healthcare Consumers” and mine was on the topic of the Affordable Care Act.

This annual conference is my favorite – I have attended every conference put on by NEHM. I love everything about it – the locations, the keynote speakers, the education, the opportunity for a time of rest and retreat, and most of all – the people. Over the years I have met so many people – some have attended one conference, some have attended all of the conferences, and everything in between. It has been a privilege to get to know Bishop Rabb – we have some friends in common from our years in Atlanta; Maryfran Crist has been an inspiration; Matt Ellis – the CEO of NEHM; and Sue Hacker Nelson, who is always ready and willing to help.

And, New Orleans. What an incredible place to visit. I think I was born in the wrong time and place. I love that city – and I have to admit, I am like a moth drawn to a light when it comes to Bourbon Street. You just can’t keep me away. Candace and I had quite the adventure on Bourbon Street during this visit – it involved torrential rain, a flooded Bourbon Street, no cabs, and a poor innocent woman who decided spending the evening with us was a good idea?! Anyhow….

We did take some time to sightsee – the Old Ursuline Convent, St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square and we walked through the French Quarter. We ate at The Court of Two Sisters, and of course, we had beignets at CafĂ© Du Monde.

It was a fun respite in the midst of a crazy year. Candace came home super inspired and ready to take on bigger and better projects. THAT is what I love about attending these conferences – coming back refreshed, inspired, energized and ready to take on the world!

Thanks NEHM for doing all of that for all of us! I think that NEHM is the best, and maybe most invisible, thing about being an Episcopalian. It is truly a hidden jewel.

And, in the spirit of full disclosure – NEHM has changed their name to Episcopal Health Ministries – but it didn’t have the same flair to say EHM in NOLA!

No comments:

Post a Comment